For our PComp midterm everyone in my class was assigned into groups to work on a project. I initially thought it would be a good idea to use a sensor array to map out a color space and have the output reflect where the user was activating. We ran into some issues with the microphone behavior so we decided to re-purpose our configuration for another interaction.
We ended up making the interaction be based on sound and distance. We mapped 3 sensors to a corresponding color value. We had each color go to 3 LEDs in series. Our idea was that we could get the colors to blend if we diffuse them at a distance.
One of the biggest problems we ran into was dealing with the noise of the environment and the circuit. We couldn’t get the sensor readings to zero or even close to it. So we ended up having to deal with low resolution values for our sensor range.
This is the proof of concept. Using one microphone to control the brightness of the LED.
We then expanded the concept to 3 microphone sensors.
We at the same time wanted to work on the serial communication with P5. We ran into some additional issues here. Most of which probably involved us not using a handshake for communication.